Planning our move to Canberra

NeelD

Hi,

We are currently waiting for our 190 visas to be granted. Deadline for submitting documents is 17th October and everything has now been uploaded.

Wife and son will be joining me on this new adventure. I'm a Carpenter and Joiner by trade and wondering where the best place would be for renting a home...don't want anything too expensive. Hoping to make the move a few months after the visas are granted. Well after we sell the house and ship the car and household stuff in cargo.

We are Indians and vegetarians and have no friends or family in ACT. Hoping someone might be able to guide us and provide us with some assistance to where we can consider moving to.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

We are currently waiting for our 190 visas to be granted. Deadline for submitting documents is 17th October and everything has now been uploaded.

Wife and son will be joining me on this new adventure. I'm a Carpenter and Joiner by trade and wondering where the best place would be for renting a home...don't want anything too expensive. Hoping to make the move a few months after the visas are granted. Well after we sell the house and ship the car and household stuff in cargo.

We are Indians and vegetarians and have no friends or family in ACT. Hoping someone might be able to guide us and provide us with some assistance to where we can consider moving to.

Thanks

Hi NeeID,

You'll need to look at a map and get a feel for the Canberra suburbs/satellite towns but as a very broad rule of thumb the further north or South you are (I.e. Further away from the centre), the cheaper rentals generally are, so your best bet will probably be to look at Tuggeranong in the South or Gunghalin in the North.

Tuggeranong was built about 20-30 years ago and doesn't have a great reputation because the centre is just so soulless but developers seem to be trying to rectify this in building Gunghalin (still in the process of being built). The down side of Gunghalin is the very high density smaller houses and lack of dual carriageway roads - but nonetheless it's probably still the best place for newcomers or new starters. Even with the road congestion you could probably be in the City Centre in 30 mins even on a Monday morning which is long by Canberra standards but great if you've ever been used to commuting in Sydney or London!

Option 3 might be to look at Queanbeyan or Jerrabombera; it's potentially a longer commute and there's a bit of snobbery involved as Queanbeyan is an old NSW rural town and not seen as being as sophisticated as Canberra but you can get good properties at much less than the cost in Canberra.

Thanks ABL275

This really helps. I guess we will have to get a short term rental and then drive around and see which area best suits us. Many people on the forum have actually suggested Gunghalin. So might have to check that out. Nothing can compare travelling like Londonas can take over an hour and more if we are stuck in traffic.

look at Gungahlin, that is where all the new buildings are brought to life. I can recommend Elders real estate agents, they did good for us. As for prices it ranges from $300 (for one bedroom or studio) and up, but you may find a few houses for rent (3 BEDS etc.) for 350-400 AUD/week as well.

Rent a car, you will need it!

Book into Ibis Styles Canberra Eaglehawk for two weeks (you can do one week but that is a bit more pressure especially while you getting over jet-lag ) it is just outside town in NSW (north side) and explore from there - good and cheaper than the ones in ACT.

PS. benefit of getting a unit is that you will not need to pay water bills (only electricity) if it is body-corporate! So you can save there too! Hope this helps, good luck!!

As a carpenter, go to one of the building sites and talk to a supervisor and get a job ASAP!(well you might need to do a safety course -one day and does cost about $100 first).

Hi,

Thanks

Edited by Maggie2012