• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep

Getting a job in Canberra

Hi everyone

I currently live in Taunton, Somerset in the UK. My wife has applied for a Skilled Visa to live in the Canberra. We have got state sponsorship and have passed the health checks so we are expecting to get our Visa soon. We have applied for a Visa in Canberra because it was the only place we can get a Visa in Australia. It does look like a really nice place but I am finding the thought of moving very daunting as we have two children age two and four and I am worried about getting jobs, property, and finding decent schools for the kids. I am also amazed at how much some things cost in Australia. I looked at the eprice of cars and found that a car that would cost about 2000 in the UK costs about 3500 in Australia.

My main concern is that I am not sure if we will be able to get decent jobs. I was very hopeful of finding a job until I e mailed a job agency in Canberra. I work in IT and my wife works for local Government. I have been told that due to Federal Government being based in Canberra I would need to have security clearance to work in IT and for this I would need to be an Australian Citizen.

Does anyone have any experience of finding work in IT in Canberra? My wife will probably try to get an admin job to start of with but I am not sure if she will need security clearance to work in admin in Canberra.

I would also like to find out if there is allot of large employers in Canberra or is Local Government the main employer.

I am sorry to ask so many questions on my first visit.

Jeremy

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      6660 times
      Rep
      Biggest employer is the federal government and you will need to be a citizen in order to get permanency with federal government. ACT government is also quite large and you will need permanent residence for that.

This is very much a clerical town and there is always a lot of competition for any job - our organization just advertised a very lowly paid admin job ($42kpa) and we had almost 60 applications and interviewed 6 of them so competition is fierce.

This is also very much a town of not what you know but who you know and you may find your only way into something permanent is to go through serial contracts with agencies - you may be stymied for some contracts though because of your citizen status (or lack thereof).

Schools are fine and if you dont like the gov schools then the Catholic/independent system accommodates almost half the school age kids anyway

Housing is crazy expensive, rentals are hard to come by (dont come between November and February whatever you do) and you would need to be budgeting at least $500 per week for a reasonable place these days - or be prepared to pay a fortune in petrol and parking (swings and roundabouts really).

Cars in Canberra are even more expensive than if you buy in NSW or Vic - probably because it is a very "wealthy" place (or would like to think it is - average salary here would be around the $80k mark). However we have a good many people existing on benefits its just that we tend to keep them hidden!

It's as good a place as any to live in Australia, loads of good facilities, nice environment, the bush is visible from almost anywhere, not likely to be flooded (although bushfires are another kettle of fish)

Title
      Liked
      16 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by panksy29 View Post
      Hi everyone

I currently live in Taunton, Somerset in the UK. My wife has applied for a Skilled Visa to live in the Canberra. We have got state sponsorship and have passed the health checks so we are expecting to get our Visa soon. We have applied for a Visa in Canberra because it was the only place we can get a Visa in Australia. It does look like a really nice place but I am finding the thought of moving very daunting as we have two children age two and four and I am worried about getting jobs, property, and finding decent schools for the kids. I am also amazed at how much some things cost in Australia. I looked at the eprice of cars and found that a car that would cost about 2000 in the UK costs about 3500 in Australia.

My main concern is that I am not sure if we will be able to get decent jobs. I was very hopeful of finding a job until I e mailed a job agency in Canberra. I work in IT and my wife works for local Government. I have been told that due to Federal Government being based in Canberra I would need to have security clearance to work in IT and for this I would need to be an Australian Citizen.

Does anyone have any experience of finding work in IT in Canberra? My wife will probably try to get an admin job to start of with but I am not sure if she will need security clearance to work in admin in Canberra.

I would also like to find out if there is allot of large employers in Canberra or is Local Government the main employer.

I am sorry to ask so many questions on my first visit.

Jeremy

I'm surprised at your post...did you not have to research all this type if stuff to get the state sponsorship? seems a bit like shutting the door after the horse has bolted - no disrespect...when we did our SS application we had to submit pages of research to show we understood the job market, relocation costs, on-going living costs etc. when you first get there you cannot claim benefits so you need to know that you can get a job, afford to stay there while looking and have plenty of funds to support you and your family. That was with a different state but perhaps ACT should ask for that then the people they give visas to would have a much better idea of what they are in for.

My advice - keep searching on seek.com and e-mail as many agencies as possible as soon as you get the PR, be resilient and don't give up - keep badgering them. if you're worried about the whole family going without jobs then perhaps you go first and find a job/accommodation and then your family join you. I would also do general internet searches to find employers in the region and just send on spec enquiries with your CV - make sure you tell them you have your PR and when you intend to arrive.

It will probably seem like alot of hard work and you may get disheartened but i've seen posts on here where people have found employers to sponsor them by applying for hundreds of jobs and not giving up. at least you will have a visa soon so just keep trying and something should work out.

Just bear in mind that there will be a number of other IT applicants who will recently have got their visas granted under ACT SS because of the recent release of the SMP...obviously they won't all go at once but they could be competition for you so try and get in there first!!

good luck

Jo

Title
      sooking
      Liked
      1334 times
      Rep
      I have been told that due to Federal Government being based in Canberra I would need to have security clearance to work in IT and for this I would need to be an Australian Citizen.
      A lot of the Federal government IT work is now outsourced to the likes of IBM, CSC, HP etc - I think you'll find that working for these guys is less restrictive the for the goverment directly.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep

Getting a job in Canberra

Hi

The main Visa applicant is my wife and when we applied for the Visa we did look at jobs availble and due to the fact she workes in local Goverment at home we thought she would have a good chance of getting a job. There were lots of well paid jobs that would suit my wifes skills.

The Visa we applied for is a 176 Skilled Visa for a Organisation and Methods Analyst. The government in Canberra failed to mention that she would need to be an Australia citizen in order to be able to get a job as a Methods Analyst. I cannot understand why they are sponsering people based on there skills when they do not have the security clearance required to carry out that sort of job role.

We are now thinking about going to Australia for a holiday because If we come to Canberra within the first year if recieving the Visa it gives us another 2 years to make up our minds. We will then have a chance to check the place out and find out more about jobs and housing ect.

Jeremy

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      6660 times
      Rep
      Hi

The main Visa applicant is my wife and when we applied for the Visa we did look at jobs availble and due to the fact she workes in local Goverment at home we thought she would have a good chance of getting a job. There were lots of well paid jobs that would suit my wifes skills.

The Visa we applied for is a 176 Skilled Visa for a Organisation and Methods Analyst. The government in Canberra failed to mention that she would need to be an Australia citizen in order to be able to get a job as a Methods Analyst. I cannot understand why they are sponsering people based on there skills when they do not have the security clearance required to carry out that sort of job role.

We are now thinking about going to Australia for a holiday because If we come to Canberra within the first year if recieving the Visa it gives us another 2 years to make up our minds. We will then have a chance to check the place out and find out more about jobs and housing ect.

Jeremy
      I dont know either - the ACT skills list has some real puzzles on it - given the number of appplicants for most jobs these days especially admin and IT you do wonder which bozo drew up the list! Now I can understand GP, nurse, speech pathologist but some of the others are just plain crazy.

Getting into the sinecure of a government job here is very difficult - sure, they advertise jobs but there is usually someone sitting in the position and they have to advertise but you know that unless the occupant is a total no hoper they are going to win it with their relevant experience in the role. Unless you have a particularly unique and in demand set of skills it will be an uphill task for anything permanent.

ACT Government Jobs - Home this is the act gov jobs site so you can peruse that to see what is in demand

Title
      Liked
      16 times
      Rep
      Hi

Jeremy
      This is crazy...why would they sponsor for a PR visa when you can't apply for citizenship for a number of years? The whole point of SS is to bring skills and experience to the state that are in demand so the migrant can work and contribute to the local economy.

Mind you I guess you can't complain too much - you are benefiting from your wife's occupation being on the ACT SMP and if it wasn't you might not be able to migrate. I'm sure ACT cannot really expect sponsored migrants to stay for 2 years if they can't find work.

I hope things seem more positive when you visit the area...just remember that post about "its not what you know but who you know"...hopefully you can make some good contacts out there to open a few doors

Jo

Title
      Liked
      50 times
      Rep
      Hi

Jeremy
      Hi Jeremy

When it comes to working in IT in Canberra, it is not as gloomy as you might think, sure finding IT work in Federal government is practically impossible as they do require citizenship irrespective of whether you are employed directly or through SI's like IBM, Fujitsu or others. In practice a lot of the agencies and corporate clients are unlikely to recruit non citizens, trust me I have looked and havea reasonable cv to call upon.

However on the brighter side, I left the UK without work in Australia and only a hand full of agencies as contacts, a giant leap of faith but one based on the premise that employers are more likely to meet/discuss opportunities with you once you are here and fortunately I found work within four weeks and started on the fifth week as a Program Manager for InTACT; an organisation of some 600 people whose responsibility it is to look after whole of government agencies in Canberra, such as Health, Education, prisons etc. I have subsequently been working for them for more than a year and am enjoying my role with them. They are continually struggling to recruit and retain people with good skills as the federal market pays more, however salaries are reasonable. You will require security clearance for many roles within InTACT but they are prepared as an employer to process these, supported by a 'Non Citizen Waiver Form' which allows them to sponsor applications from non citizens. We look after the breadth of IT so are likely to have something in your space. I would be very happy to look over your CV and let you know of potential opportunities within InTACT.

InTACT is not the only employer within Canberra that will look at permanent residents, there are the universities, both Canberra and ANU and other employers but they are limitted as this is a public sector town, but its not impossible.

unfortunately i can not speak about your wifes work but if she has not looked at TAMS as an employer then I would suggest she does. Also Health are doing a lot of work on the CADP redevelopment program and they are looking at their models of care; which also looks at how they currently do things and how this might change as part of the program mention.

One piece of advice I would offer is to be prepared to compromise, Canberra is a lovely place to live and worth the compromise if one has to be made.

If you want to private message me with your CV I would be happy to take a look and offer other advice if needed.

good luck
      Peter

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      43 times
      Rep
      Hi Peter - hope you are well? sorry to butt in but what is TAMS?
      Thanks
      (cal - we met back in May on our validation trip!!)

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      6660 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by destinationoz View Post
      Hi Peter - hope you are well? sorry to butt in but what is TAMS?
      Thanks
      (cal - we met back in May on our validation trip!!)
      Territory and Municipal Services - Homepage government department. Good luck with that one!

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast